Thursday, August 9, 2007

miles and miles

About thirty km north of Canberra is Lake George. It measures 25km long and 10km wide and holds 500 million cubic metres of water when full. We had never seen it contain anything except cattle, but yesterday it held water! Must have been nearly one half of one percent full. I visited the Australian War Memorial for the first time since 1981 and again found it fascinating and very moving. Above the memorial pool containing the eternal flame are the two cloisters containing 102000 rankless names. There were thousands of poppies shoved into the cracks between the name plaques as has become the custom. One poppie within the great war section had a small crimson piece of paper attached, gently stirring in the cold Canberra wind. Written in a fine hand was: Stay dead, damn you. I guess some memories just won't die.
Australian War Memorial, Canberra

"Houston, while you're looking that up, you might recognize what I have in my hand as the handle for the contingency sample return; it just so happens to have a genuine six iron on the bottom of it. In my left hand, I have a little white pellet that's familiar to millions of Americans. I'll drop it down. Unfortunately, the suit is so stiff, I can't do this with two hands, but I'm going to try a little sand-trap shot here."

Which of the following are not true of the XLR99 rocket engine:
A: generated 57k pounds of thrust at 100% throttle at sea level
B: used liquid oygen and anhydrous ammonia for propellant
C: had a rated operating life of 30 minutes before overhaul
D: engine feed turbine pumps could deliver 12k pounds per min
E: had a basic engine weight of 910 pounds
F: thrust could be throttled from about 50 to 100%

No comments: